non root users

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 20:35:23 CEST 2003

On Monday 13 Oct 2003 6:45 pm, DBSMITH at OhioHealth.com wrote:
> All,
>
> I am running version 1.2.1 and I want to allow non-root users to be able
> to list the keys and encrypt for support issues.   In my options file I
> have stated
> - -no-secmem-warning,  but as a test user I still receive that messages
> about the memory.
> When I run gpg --list-keys as a test user I get nothing back...???   I

Missed the --homedir option? gpg will create an empty .gnupg/ directory in the
home directory of that test user. As the test user, do:
$ cd ~
$ ls -a

Probably an easier way is to import the keyring into the .gnupg folder,
that'll allow you to set options in the conf file (which is also reset per
user). The warning about secmem should be solvable - I'm sure others here
will help with that but you would be best providing more information on
exactly how you have used chmod.

If the keyring is < 500 keys, it's not a problem to have duplicate keyrings -
one for each user. You can either add the --refresh-keys to the lexicon used
by ordinary users or leave the keyrings alone if the keys don't change often.

It's not usual for everyone to need the same keys, that's why GnuPG runs with
a lot of configuration and all keyrings dictated by that user alone. There's
not much for root to do, once installation is complete.

--

Neil Williams