Problem with Encryption of Mails

Torsten Villnow T.Villnow at villnow-online.de
Sun Oct 19 23:59:54 CEST 2003

I am using GnuPG 1.2.3 with WinPT 0.7.96 under WinXP
and have following problem - two scenarios:

(1)
the decryption of a mail, which the sender encrypted with both my public key
AND his own key (*) fails;
the details are:

- the decryption window shows correctly both keys and following correct
text: "you need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for user 'Torsten
....' "       (that's me)

- after having entered the passphrase and pressed "ok" the following error
message pops up: "Encrypted with RSA Key, ID xyz, 'Joe ...' Decryption
failed: secret key not available."     (Joe is my buddy who sent me the
mail)

Obviously the program seems to have "forgot" between those key strokes
somehow that the mail is for me, and expects the passphrase from Joe now.

(2)
the decryption of a mail, which the sender as encrypted with only my public
key works as expected:

- the decryption window shows only my public key
- the encryption works just fine

Is this a bug or WAD "working as designed"? - or did I do anything wrong?

Torsten Villnow

(*) my buddy has done this in order to be able to decrypt his own mail again
after sending; this has worked perfectly with PGP on both sides