Older self signature not stripped

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Mon Sep 15 20:43:02 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 06:47:26PM +0200, Martin Stigge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it happened that I have multiple self signatures on some of my uids:
>
> http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xD5CE4FE9
>
> I read that gnupg automatically strips older self signatures when
> importing keys, but with
>
> gpg --recv-keys D5CE4FE9
> gpg --list-sigs D5CE4FE9
>
> this doesn't seem to apply to my key (gpg 1.2.3). Why?

GnuPG never actually stripped older self-signatures.  What it did do
was disard any about-to-be-imported self-signature that was older than
an existing self-signature.  It did not go back and remove the older
one when importing a newer one.

As of v1.2.3, GnuPG does not even do this any more.  Enough people
complained.. ;)

David