notion conventions: OpenPGP, PGP/MIME, ASCII Armor, inline, embedded

Martin Bretschneider martin.bretschneider@gmx.de
Mon Sep 15 21:04:01 2003

--=.,UZ9L)vGclZshT

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the notions in the GnuPG environment:

Up to now I thought that there are two main methods how OpenPGP can be
used in muas: The old ASCII Armor method that has the PGP header in the
body of the email and the newer one PGP/MIME method that puts the
signature in an MIME-attachment (RFC 2015 and RFC 3156).

But today Alexander Zangerl, the author of kuvert, a outbound filter
that does OpenPGP actions on outgoing mai, told me that ASCII Armor is
also used within PGP/MIME. I found in RFC 1991 2.4.1 this description:

 ASCII Armor is created by concatenating the following data:

 - An Armor Headerline, appropriate for the type of data
 - Armor Headers
 - A blank line
 - The ASCII-Armored data
 - An Armor Checksum
 - The Armor Tail (which depends on the Armor Headerline).

Yes, the signature in the MIME attachment is ASCII armored, just as in
the method that I thought that named ASCII Armor. So, how to call the
"old way". Inline, emebedded? I scanned the RFCs but could not found it.

And what's about PGP/MIME. I already read these notions: PGP/MIME,
PGP-MIME, OpenPGP/MIME, OpenPGP. I asked this single question some
months ago in this ML and you told me that PGP/MIME is the one but a lot
of (experienced) people seem not to really know the real notion. I can
understand this, since I would prefer OpenPGP/MIME over PGP/MIME since
OpenPGP ist the standard, not PGP.

What do you think?

Kind regards from Germany
--
  www.bretschneidernet.de   OpenPGP_0x4EA52583      JID_breti@jabber.org
   (o__  (O_                      Ernest Hemingway:

--=.,UZ9L)vGclZshT

--=.,UZ9L)vGclZshT--