pgp/mime vs in-line pgp

Atom 'Smasher' atom-gpg at suspicious.org
Tue Apr 13 22:04:03 CEST 2004

> > * i've *never* had an in-line signature cause problems with someone's
> > poorly configured virus filter.
>
> True.
>
> The big problem with inline is non-ascii text: when the senders charset
> differs from the receivers, the receivers MUA is likely to convert the
> message before displaying/storing - breaking the signature (not an
> issue when the receiver's MUA directly supports GPG/PGP.)
>
> I'm not sure, but I can imagine that there may be problems with line
> wrapping, too, on conversions to/ftom quoted-printable.
==============================

these seem like implementation problems of the MUA, more than problems
with the format...

if the raw message was piped into gpg, it would work fine, right? the
problem seem to come from a receiving MUA tries to be smart about
interpreting a message....

it sound slike the same problem of a message that's converted from text to
html before verification.

        ...atom

 PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
 3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

	"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous
	 to our liberties than standing armies."
		-- Thomas Jefferson