pgp/mime vs in-line pgp

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Wed Apr 14 09:56:55 CEST 2004

(don't cc: me please)

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 08.32, Per Tunedal Casual wrote:

> PGP-MIME is far better but unfortunately PGP-MIME signed mail is not
> transparent to non-pgp users. They will be confused by the empty mail
> with the two strange attachments (though readable in a texteditor).
> Thus I cannot use PGP-MIME widely.

Name one mailer except MSOE which also shows this behaviour. All other
mailers I've come across properly implement MIME and can sensibly
display MIME multipart messages with an unknown subtype. I have by now
just given up on MSOE users: they want to live that way, so be it
(There are very few exceptions to this rule - job applications is one
example where it is vital for me that my messages are read :-/.

The confusion for the user is exactly the same: it is a strange
-----' at the top and a strange blurb at the bottom in the other case.

(Arrgh! And now I can't find the magic checkbox to enable PGP/MIME as
default in kmail. It's the default at home - but inline is the default
on this machine. Anybody?)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Some people pray for more than they are willing to work for.