Moving from PGP to GnuPG and other questions ...

Holger Sesterhenn Holger.Sesterhenn at smgwtest.aachen.utimaco.de
Wed Apr 28 18:44:48 CEST 2004

Hi,

> At one time a client was sending us files encrypted with IDEA (they were a
> PGP shop).  Found that there were no prefs on the key that had been
> generated by GnuPG.  So, I edited the key, set the preferences and had the
> client update their keyring.  They no longer send us files encrypted using
> IDEA.
>
> So, yes, a PGP client will honor the preferences set by GnuPG.

Well, I have to admit that I have to correct my previous mails. Because
my test have been a while ago I have done it again. The latest PGP 8.x
seem to handle the key preferrences correctly.

I have created a testkey with GnuPG, setting CAST5 as preferred algo,
imported it to PGP. PGP shows CAST5 as preferred algo.

Then I have used 'setpref' with GnuPG and switched to 3DES as preferred
algo (CAST5 still at second position). After importing this changed
public key, there was a second selfsig and the key show 3DES as
preferred algo with PGP8. Don't need to delete the key before.
Everything is merged. Looks like the old versions (6.5, 7.x) did not
merge correctly and that was the reason why I said PGP has some bugs.

I have found the 'default algo' switch for PGP8 under
'Options/Adavanced' (well, I have the german version! Maybe the
translation is not exact). You have to set the algo *before* you create
a new key. It's possible to disable specific algos, too.

So tell your recipients to switch off IDEA and use AES, CAST5 or 3DES.

--
Best Regards,

Holger Sesterhenn
---