Character sets

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Aug 3 12:09:24 CEST 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 08:18:27 +0300, Robert Golovniov said:

>   What  are  the valid character sets for GnuPG preferences - both for
>   Windows  and  Linux  versions?  I have received a couple of messages

You mean thinks like notation data and user IDs?  By definition this
must all be encoded in UTF-8.  GnuPG does this and tries to display it
correctly on all terminals.

Older PGP versions ignored the UTF-8 requirement and stored user
IDs as they are entered.

The option --charset may be used to force the use of conversion from
utf-8 to latin-1, latin-2 or koi-8 or leave it as utf-8.  On modern
systems this is not required, though.

  Werner