Character sets

Maxim Britov udjinrg at forenet.by
Tue Aug 3 12:54:37 CEST 2004

> >   What  are  the valid character sets for GnuPG preferences - both for
> >   Windows  and  Linux  versions?  I have received a couple of messages
>
> You mean thinks like notation data and user IDs?  By definition this
> must all be encoded in UTF-8.  GnuPG does this and tries to display it
> correctly on all terminals.
>
> Older PGP versions ignored the UTF-8 requirement and stored user
> IDs as they are entered.
>
> The option --charset may be used to force the use of conversion from
> utf-8 to latin-1, latin-2 or koi-8 or leave it as utf-8.  On modern
> systems this is not required, though.

It usefull only for Linux. Russian is: utf-8 and koi8-r
win32 uses cp866 and cp1251 for Russian.
=> Only koi8-r or You have to patch gnupg and add support 866/1251 and
   use cp1251 under Linux (best for compatibility (afaik))
   I think I can send you it.

GnuPG doesn't encode content of messages. You shoult look at your mutt (imho)

--
Maxim Britov

GnuPG KeyID 0x4580A6D66F3DB1FB Keyserver hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com
Fingerprint: 4059 B5C5 8985 5A47 8F5A 8623 4580 A6D6 6F3D B1FB
  JABBER: maxbritov on jabber.org/jabber.ru   ICQ 198171258