How to generate old-style signatures?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Aug 31 23:27:25 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:45:28PM -0400, Atom 'Smasher' wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, David Shaw wrote:
>
> > If you really must generate old signatures, there is a trick using
> > detached signatures and gpgsplit to assemble such a message by hand at
> > http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/pgp2x.html.  See "Signing and encrypting a
> > document for a PGP 2.x user".
> =============
>
>  	"GnuPG does not have native support for both signing a document
>  	with an RSA key and encrypting it to an RSA key."
>
> is that correct? or does it really mean v3 keys, instead of RSA keys?

Neither is exactly right.  I think that document was written quite a
while ago - back then, GnuPG did not have RSA at all.  Even today,
it's not a v3 or RSA thing, but an RFC-1991 (PGP 2.x) thing.  The line
should read something like "GnuPG does not have native support for
both signing and encrypting a document in such a way that it can be
read by a PGP 2.x user".

David