10x compression factor

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Tue Feb 10 20:43:53 CET 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 20.15, Steve Butler wrote:

> As for novels, some I've (started to) read seemed a lot more repetitive
> than technical specs.  Perhaps checking the compression ratio should be
> part of the test for good novels. --tongue in cheek--

There is actually a paper somewhere out there (meaning: in some CS journal)
about determining the probably author of a text by comparing its compression
rate to other texts from known authors.

Of course, the whole thing was tongue in cheek, but IIRC they did have some
numbers and the general direction of their research was not just made up.

cheers
-- vbi

--
If a train station is where the train stops, what is a work station?