Mutt/GnuPG-Outlook-plugin diffs / Support for Microsoft's .epf, .pfx, .p12 ?

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Fri Feb 13 20:32:47 CET 2004

[Please don't Cc on responses to posts to mailing lists. I read the
mailing lists. I actively avoid setting a Reply-To: unless I mean
it, and my MUA sets a Mail-Followup-To: header quite on purpose
including ONLY the mailing lists address. If your MUA actively did
the wrong thing, it's BROKEN, and you should complain to your vendor.]

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:03:17PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> I'm interested in that actually. I keep hearing "deprecated," but no
> clear explanation as to why. Do you have some documentation I could take
> a look at?

RFCs 2015 and 3156.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2015.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3156.html

Possibly, I'm being a bit liberal with my usage of the verb
"deprecate", since I don't think it was done explicitly. Those RFCs
present a simple, clear way that any MUA that treates MIME-encoded
messages properly (as is also defined in several other RFCs; don't
recall which off the top of my head, but I expect that Michael
Elkins references them in the above) can process PGP-signed data,
PGP-enciphered data, and PGP keys gracefully. MUAs that support MIME
but fail to support PGP/MIME are failing to comply with the RFCs,
largely through laziness on the developers' part in the case that
they're already capable of parsing PGP data.

> Meanwhile, the version of signature you're using is not parsable by
> netscape mail + enigmail, and I can't get it to work with the filter I
> wrote to parse mime signatures with pine either.

That is clearly a problem. Just as clearly, it is not my problem.
Good luck with that.

> I'm going to work on the latter when I get a chance,

Many keyservers mangle keys with subkeys, of which 0cf9091a has
several. You may want to try removing your copy of 0cf9091a from
your public keyring and retrieving it from subkeys.pgp.net, which
treats subkeys properly, which may well make your filter in pine
function properly.

If it doesn't, you might consider mutt, for which pine keybindings
are readily available (and may even be in the source distribution
these days). mutt is the canonical example of an MUA that complies
with the MIME/PGP RFCs. Arguably it's the reference implementation
of those RFCs. Michael Elkins wrote all three of them.

> but meanwhile I thought you might want to know.

Honestly, I don't really care, since I'm certain that my PGP
signatures are valid, verifiable down the line in the mail archives,
and since those with whom I communicate privately have no problems
reading my application/pgp-encrypted MIME parts.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net