Photo-ID: questions

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Sat Feb 21 13:51:19 CET 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:31:35PM +0100, Ruediger Kupper wrote:
> So can anyone tell a reason why one should include a photo ID into a
> GPG key?

All I can imagine is that, in typical "keysigning party"
circumstances, on verifies identity of a lot of people in a hurry,
and then actually signs the key later. Having an image of the other
person the next time you may care, months later, can do a lot more
than the name that you didn't put to a face for your memory of who
they are. I don't think that it's functional as a uid by itself,
only in combination with the other data on the key.

> And: Why is this a feature of GnuPG then?

Because it was a requested feature and included in OpenPGP, I
expect.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net