GPG encrypting and decrypting files

Craig Gardner cgardner at adismri.com
Fri Feb 27 15:56:18 CET 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to encrypt a file and ftp it to another machine only to have
it decrypted on that machine, but I can't seem to get the files
decrypted.

When I go to encrypt the file, I use :

gpg --output [encrypted file] --encrypt --recipient [recipient] [file]

and it works just fine until I transfer the file to the other machine
for decrypting.  I have exported and imported the what I thought were
the proper keys, but it doesn't seem to want to decrypt on the other
machine, while testing (encrypting and decrypting) it on one machine
works just fine.

When I decrypt, I use :

gpg --output [decrypted file] --decrypt [encrypted file]

It seems like it should be correct, but for some reason, it just isn't
working.  The error message I receive is :

gpg: can't open `[filename]'
gpg: decrypt_message failed: file open error

The file is in the directory that I'm running the command is in, so I
know that my file is there.

If anyone has any help, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Craig