[Announce] GnuPG 1.3.5 released (development)

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Feb 28 16:28:56 CET 2004

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:02:33PM +0100, Albert wrote:
> Am Samstag, 28. Februar 2004 19:11 schrieb gabriel rosenkoetter:
> > On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 05:21:25PM +0100, Albert wrote:
> > > Thanks, but it didn't work the first time with subkeys.pgp.net.
> >
> > Could you define "didn't work" more clealy, please?
>
> Sorry, I don't remember the exact message, but AFAIR it was
> something like this:
>
> key "0x49E1CBC9" not found on keyserver
>
> > > So why there are different "qualities" of keyservers? Which one
> > > would you recommend to use in Europe?
> >
> > subkeys.pgp.net.
>
> Hmmh, as posted "hkp://subkeys.pgp.net" uses round robin DNS and
> therefore you don't ask the same server always. I think that this
> was the reason why I found the key the 2nd time and the 1st
> time not, since I didn't query the same server.

Yes.  subkeys.pgp.net is three machines.  Two allow searching for
subkeys, and one doesn't.  This is a problem since subkeys.pgp.net is
supposed to be the one name that Just Works without needing pages of
documentation explaining which keyserver to use for what sort of key,
the program you're using, the phase of the moon, etc.

David