Fwd: GPG

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 22:33:56 CET 2004

man gpg lists -t as a kludge to get around problems with PGP but doesn't make
it clear what --textmode means when not used for signing or armouring - if it
does anything in those modes.

Would someone mind giving a fuller explanation?
Anyone know why Mutt recommends it?
He apparently has problems getting the subscription to work, so he's CC:
on this message.

Subject: GPG
Date: Wednesday 07 Jan 2004 10:07 pm

I saw your name on the GPG mailing list and was wondering if I could
humbly ask you a question about it.  (I'd subscribe except I've tried
twice and the mailing list doesn't seem to be working for me.)

What does --textmode do??? The gpg man page says this
is for the "canonical text mode".  It does not explain what this means.

Could you please describe what GPG's "canonical text mode" is?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I'm using GPG to sign emails in my MUA which is mutt on Linux.
Mutt recommended --textmode.  I don't know why.

--

Christian Seberino, Ph.D.
SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego
San Diego, CA 92152-5385