Fwd: GPG

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jan 8 17:03:17 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:33:56PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> man gpg lists -t as a kludge to get around problems with PGP but
> doesn't make it clear what --textmode means when not used for
> signing or armouring - if it does anything in those modes.
>
> Would someone mind giving a fuller explanation?

As it happens, I recently updated the documentation about this:

    Treat input files as text and store them in the OpenPGP canonical
    text form with standard "CRLF" line endings.  This also sets the
    necessary flags to inform the recipient that the encrypted or
    signed data is text and may need its line endings converted back
    to whatever the local system uses.  This option is useful when
    communicating between two platforms that have different line
    ending conventions (UNIX-like to Mac, Mac to Windows, etc).
    --no-textmode disables this option, and is the default.

Does that make it clearer?

David