Removing signature from signed file

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 00:24:30 CET 2004

On Saturday 10 Jan 2004 9:27 pm, Jens Kubieziel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> assume I signed a file with "gpg --sign file.tar.bz2". Now there is a
> signed file file.at.bz2.gpg. Is there a way to remove the inline
> signature from this file? (I know that detached signatures are the better

I've just tried this out on a copy of a tar.gz file - using -s or --sign
you'll find that the original file is left intact and unaffected.

$ ls
test.tar.gz
$ gpg --sign test.tar.gz
$ ls
test.tar.gz
test.tar.gz.gpg

If you've deleted that file, I don't see why GnuPG would be expected to
replace it. It's done what it can to preserve the signed data even after
being given a sub-optimal command.

It's times like these when you start to wonder about an undo command for the
command line - not just the bash history but a complete undo recovery.

:-)

Was there a real situation behind the assumption in the question?
Is there real data that needs to be recovered?
How much time and effort is that data really worth? You can recover most file
deletions or corruptions if you throw lots and lots of time and resources
into the mix.

--

Neil Williams