Can I use gpg-agent to do this?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Tue Jan 13 13:27:28 CET 2004

Emil,

I'm only been messing with gpg-agent since last week, but I understand
it only caches pass phrases.  It never does any encryption; you still
need to use "gpg" to do that.

/Brian/

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 15:49, Emil Ong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an application in Java in which I need to do encryption and
> signing of messages.  My application will be running on a cluster and each
> node will have distinct keys.  The nodes communicate with each other using
> signed and encrypted messages (this is a simulation of a P2P system), but
> I'm not talking about a channel encryption (e.g. SSL) issue.
>
> What I'd like to do is be able to connect to the locally running gpg-agent
> (using the environment variables), have it do the encryption or
> signing, and then return the result to me.  The benefits I'm hoping
> for are (1) that I don't have to worry about which key is needed to do
> signing/encryption (i.e. I'd like to make the assumption that there is a
> default (but configurable) key that the agent uses to sign and encrypt),
> (2) all crypto operations take place in one single, secure process, and
> (3) I can avoid having to worry about importing keys into Java's api.
>
> Is this possible with gpg-agent (particularly, the encryption part)?  Is
> it a reasonable use of the agent?  I'm asking this because I read the
> info file from gnupg 1.9.3 and my impression is that the agent doesn't
> do encryption.  Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Emil

       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       Americas IT Hosting Sys Admin   |       .|||.       .|||.
       Cisco Linux Developer           |   ..:|||||||:...:|||||||:..
       Phone: (919) 392-7363           |   C i s c o   S y s t e m s