clarification on automated signing

danl001 danl001 at porkfriedrice.net
Wed Jan 21 18:59:35 CET 2004

Hi,

I need to do some automated signing in a script so I read the "How can I
use GnuPG in an automated environment?" section of the FAQ at

http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html#q4.14

I have a few questions. So I start by creating a keypair the usual way
using --gen-key and then add an additional signing subkey. Then I export
  the secret keys using --export-secret-keys > secring.auto

The FAQ answer then says to copy secring.auto and pubring.gpg to a test
directory. Do I need to rename secring.auto to secring.gpg? If i don't,
gpg just creates a 0 length secring.gpg file anyway. I can remove the
passphrase with passwd, but which keys should I actually delete? I only
want to have the subkey installed on the target machine, right? How do I
do this?

It then says to copy secring.auto to the target machine and "install" it
as the secret key ring. What exactly does install mean here? Do I need
to rename it to secring.gpg? Also, do I need to copy over pubring.gpg
with it?

If someone could clarify the process of setting things up for automated
signing, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.