UTF8 passphrase problem (I think)

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Thu Jul 22 21:02:01 CEST 2004

Tom Hardy wrote:

> I currently have one home computer.  Two of the keys were created >under
kgpg; only the last one under the the UTF8 environment, and >that's the
one that works.  The two old ones were created under >Windows in about
1998.
>They fail the same way as the kgpg one from last year, passphrase not

>accepted.

do you have the IDEA module, and the option to load it, enabled?

the pgp 2.6 key will not do anything that requires a passphrase without
IDEA loaded, (although you can still encrypt to it and use it to verify)

the pgp 5.0 key, if it is an RSA key, will also need IDEA

(-btw // feature request,
is it possible for gnupg to alert users with an error message that would
indicate this type of problem,
i.e., something like:
" gpg: the symmetric algorithm used to protect this secret key is not
available " )

with Respect,

vedaal