Expired signature

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Jun 8 17:25:59 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:06:57AM -0400, Atom 'Smasher' wrote:

> since i use expiration dates on my keys, and plan to update the
> expiration dates if they're still being used, i ~really~ wish the
> _default_ for signing keys was "no expiration" instead of expiring
> with the key....  there doesn't seem to be any harm in having a
> valid (non-expired) signature on an expired key.
>
> if i *really* own my keys now, it seems safe to assume that i'll
> still own them even after the current expiration date, especially if
> i update the expiration date on the keys.

Why is it safe to assume that?

Some people look at a key expiration date as a statement by you:
"After xxxx date, I do not vouch for my own key".  Given that, why on
earth should someone else vouch for it longer than you do?

This is an unresolvable debate since neither side is entirely wrong
and neither side is entirely right.  The current behavior in GnuPG is
the more conservative of the two choices, as is proper for a default.

David