OT: Re: Secure deletion of files in a directory

Albert gnupg at ml0402.albert.uni.cc
Wed Jun 16 12:13:41 CEST 2004

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2004 09:49 schrieb Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal'
von Bidder:
> On Tuesday 15 June 2004 20.08, Albert wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 15. Juni 2004 19:05 schrieb Kyle Hasselbacher:
> > > dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hdX
> > > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX
> >
> > That deletes the smart-info too, which means you have problems
> > to prove the errors.
>
> Huh?
>
> SMART doesn't store its info in the user accessible part of the
> disk, afaik. Only a IDE low-level format might erase the SMART
> information.

Indeed, this should be, but I heard, that you will loose the
smart-log with drives from Samsung.

> Of course, writing to the damaged area may cause the error go
> away because the sectors are remapped, but doesn't SMART have an
> error log, so that the tech can still see that there were
> problems?

To get a RMA-no. from Maxtor, you need an error key and for a brand
new drive you won't remap the sectors and wait till the next error
occurs.

Albert