Truncated file in GPG?

Charles test524 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 22 14:12:56 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I'm running GPG version 1.0.6 on Debian stable for the first time.
Kernel version is 2.4.18. (I sent this to the Debian mailing list, but
didn't get a response--I'm not sure it is Debian specific.) I'm trying
to perform a relatively simple task: encrypt a big MS Outlook mail
archive file so that only I can decrypt it. I created a key for myself,
and encrypted the file with

gpg -e -r Charles mail.pst

mail.pst is a 116MB file.

The resulting mail.pst.gpg is 80MB. Something is clearly wrong. Though
I'm aware GPG has compression, .PST is already a pretty compressed
format. Doing gpg -d to decrypt gave me back a file that was about 81MB
-- far smaller than the original.

charles at compute1:/files/Work$ gpg -e -r Charles mail.pst
charles at compute1:/files/Work$ ls -l
total 200208
-r--------    1 charles  charles  122470400 May  2 22:11 mail.pst
-rw-r--r--    1 charles  charles  82329455 Jun 18 21:41 mail.pst.gpg

What's going on here? I'm running on a 667MHz P3 with 128MB RAM.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles.