Looking for Elgamal sign+encrypt key information

Kurt Fitzner kfitzner at excelcia.org
Sun Mar 21 19:35:59 CET 2004

Atom 'Smasher' wrote:

> since you mention lobbying for the algorithms, protocols, and standards
> that offer real protection, i'll ask the list, again, what's the current
> status of DSS/DSA variants that allow larger keys and hashes? when will
> this become a standard that can be used in "end products" like gpg? should
> the current openPGP draft be including a "reserved" status for such
> signatures?

Apparantly some of the changes have already made it into DSS.  For quite
some time, too.  As of October 1, 2001, ANSI X9.31 (rDSA) which is an
RSA-based signature algorithm that supports >1024-bit keys, was added
into the DSS.  This is specified in FIPS 186-2, which now supercedes the
original DSS FIPS 186-1.  Additionally, the new DSS now also supports
eliptic curve keys as specified in ANSI X9.62.[1]

My research hasn't uncovered whether or not this new DSS is a topic of
discussion for inclusion with the updated OpenPGP.  Does anyone here know?

	Kurt Fitzner

[1] See http://csrc.nist.gov/cryptval/dss.htm and
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips186-2/fips186-2-change1.pdf