OK, here goes trouble... re c:\gnupg

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Tue Nov 9 05:59:14 CET 2004

I have read the archives.

I've done key word searches.

I've been reading and googling for almost a week.

I think I can ask this now without people throwing "RTFM" at me. Unless
they also throw a URL with it! ;)

The file README.W32 contains the following:

 4. If you did not use the default directory "c:\gnupg", you
    should enter a string with the directory into the Registry
    under the key:
     \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GnuPG\HomeDir

Now, this is my issue. Registry keys.

I have been working for over a year on finding gnu-type apps and
configuring them to work on my windows machine (almost) as if they were on
Linux.

I'm almost there! Almost.

I have Apache (with SSL), Perl, mod_perl, SSL, SSH, PHP, Python, CVS (with
SSH), MySQL (almost with SSL), and some 160+ other unix command line
executables running. (still can't find a MAN or windows that I can figure
out how to configure. It gets to my 'HOME' issue)

All without a single registry setting.

All without a single file on the C: drive or in the WINDOWS directory.

Nothing. No where. All within the standard Linux file structure (with
limits. Not everything is in the Linux file structure. I'm not that crazy)

(details at web.torres.ws/dev/php/walters_way)

So now I've turned my sights on GnuPG for windows.

I do have GnuPG running. But it has a registry setting. It breaks my
paradigm.

I need to make one request (and I've read that it has been made before,
many times) to *add* (don't want to break anything) the ability to look
for an ENV VAR labled 'HOME' and use that if the registry key is not
found.

I've read the requests. I've read the (half-hearted) replies.

Now, I will admit I know nothing on the working of GnuPG. I have no idea
what the limitations are on how it operates in Windows. But based upon
what I do know about windows development and restrictions and conditions,
I know that windows apps can (and do) look for and use ENV VARs.

So please, I'm beging some enterprising person to open the source, find
where it looks for the reg key, do a conditional branch and look for an
ENV VAR labled HOME (it has to be that because my CVS and SSH use it, and
I really don't see a need for a second ENV VAR with a different label with
the same definition) if the reg key does not exist, and then go on its
merry way.

As far as I can tell GnuPGP only uses 2 keys. One to tell it where .gnupg
file is and the other for context menu de/encryption (and that has to stay
in the registry, I'm not that fanatical.)

So, now the flames can begin. (I got flamed pretty bad over on the CVS
lists on this topic)

BTW: I saw someone request the the config and keys live in the standard
windows path for users personal directories. Please no. Please.

That directory is buried so deep, backing it up is a pain.

I threw out a good SSH (and SFTP and SCP) client for that very reason.
They saw no validity to not having their the .ssh files anywhere but the
standard windows location. So be it. Their choice, and mine.

Anyway. Anyone game?

Walter

  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
  or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
  not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
  to the American public.
                         - Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
                           26th President of the United States
                           1901-1909