OK, here goes trouble... re c:\gnupg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Nov 9 09:25:53 CET 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:59:14 -0600 (CST), Walter Torres said:

> So please, I'm beging some enterprising person to open the source, find
> where it looks for the reg key, do a conditional branch and look for an
> ENV VAR labled HOME (it has to be that because my CVS and SSH use it, and
> I really don't see a need for a second ENV VAR with a different label with
> the same definition) if the reg key does not exist, and then go on its
> merry way.

Many years ago GnuPg used to use the GNUPGHOME environment variable the
same way as it does under Unix.  People complained about this because
it seemed to be too hard to set an environment variable under Windows at
that time. They conviced me that the proper way under Windows is to
make use of the registry.  So I did.

Now people want to have the GNUPGHOME back and it should take
precedence over the registry setting - or should it be only used if
the registry entry is missing?  The workaround of using a wrapper with
--homedir %GNUPGHOME% seems to be not sufficient either.

You are asking for support of HOME if GNUPGHOME has not been set and
there is no registry setiing.  This seems to be easy to implement -
but: The usual home directory of gnupg is $HOME/.gnupg and AFAIK file
names starting with a dot a troublesome under some Windows versions.

I now lean toward using GNUPGHOME with precedence over the registry
entry.  However it will make it harder for us to analyze bug reports.

Any other comments?

  Werner