OK, here goes trouble... re c:\gnupg

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Tue Nov 9 16:24:30 CET 2004

> Now people want to have the GNUPGHOME back...

Just can't keep people happy!  ;)

> and it should take precedence over the registry setting - or should
> it be only used if the registry entry is missing?

I prefer the latter, because it does not break Windows methodology and
thinking, as well as GPG windows legacy. For those in the windows world,
the reg key fits and they understand and expect it.

Also, I've found some GUI apps that expect this key as primary source.

For those of us (poor souls) that have a foot in each camp, having the ENV
VAR work if the key is not there works because us Linux folks understand
and expect ENV VARs.

> You are asking for support of HOME if GNUPGHOME has not been set and
> there is no registry setting.

Now that is a nice compromise.

Precedance search:
 1) reg key
 2) GNUPGHOME
 3) HOME

#1 for Windows folks and legacy.

#2 for those with only GnuGPG and limited "linux" tools.

#3 for those stubborn fools that try to have their cake
   and eat it too!

>  This seems to be easy to implement - but:

uh - oh

> The usual home directory of gnupg is $HOME/.gnupg and AFAIK file
> names starting with a dot a troublesome under some Windows versions.

Well, that is true. The windows explorer will NOT let you create a
directory that begins with a PERIOD. But that's OK, because the command
line will. And since this "feature" is for us hopless (and lost) Linux
fools, that works.

> I now lean toward using GNUPGHOME with precedence over the registry
> entry.

OK, Precedance search:
 1) GNUPGHOME
 2) reg key
 3) HOME

> However it will make it harder for us to analyze bug reports.

Now that I have no leg to stand on. This is very important but I can give
no voice to this.

Lastly, I wish to give my gratitude for this thoughtful conversation on
this topic. Too many times I've been rebuffed out of hand.

Walter