OK, here goes trouble... re c:\gnupg

Andreas John ajgpgml at tesla.inka.de
Tue Nov 9 22:01:55 CET 2004

Hi!

> What about W98 or more general FAT file systems? IIRC< it was not
> possible to create such a directory using the System call or the
> command line.  Using "gnupg" instead of ".gnupg" will work - would
> that be acceptable?
As Walter said: It's no problem to "mkdir .gnupg" under Win98. It's then renamed to "gnupg~1" for the old FAT 8.3-Naming.
But nevertheless I'd opt for the "special Name" because Explorer bitches around.

>    1) GNUPGHOME
>    2) reg key
>    3) %ApplicationData%...
>    3) HOME
It's actually %APPDATA%, which is also present in Win98, it's introduced with InternetExplorer 4 (so Win95+MSIE4 should also work), just have a look at:
SHGetSpecialFolderPath(...) using CSIDL_APPDATA.

But ExpandEnvironmentStrings(...) should do as well (and without further investigation looks easier to check for "isPresent").

About the "AppPath": I think the idea was to go for:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

After you entered the full path as default-string for eg.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\gpg.exe
you can go for "start gpg" (of course if "gpg" will be found in %PATH% this preceeds the App Paths-Entry).
Optionally you can add a "path"-string below the entry, which should give the path DLLs located somewhere else.

Bye!