w32 installation paths

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Tue Nov 16 06:36:13 CET 2004

> Unlike a floppy, which has a dedicated drive letter, the drive
> letter for USB sticks will vary according to disk partitioning,
> and in any case it don't think it will be A : even if your machine
> has no floppy drive.

ah, yes. Didn't think of that, but...

On my Windows system, I have Apache, PHP, MySQL, and Perl, GnuGPG all
running with *OUT* volume letters.

All config/ini files defined pathsa re based from "root" [/]. Of course,
all the files are on the same volume on that is not a problem.

If you look at my "unix" volume, it looks *exatcly* linke my Linux box at
work. Well, not exactly, but close enough for government work.

So, given that, I don't see why a GPG TO GO couldn't live on a CD or UDB
stick.

But I'd have to play and see.

> GPG TO GO was conceived as a replacement for PGP 2 for people living
> in nasty places where using encryption can sometimes get you killed,
> or worse. It's designed to leave no trace on the host machine that
> encryption has taken place and to be used on public machines, which
> in the vast majority run Windows systems.

Yes, I understand that POV. I worked (for a time) on the cryporights
project. Still put time in in the Squirelmail GPG project. I work across
the "hall" from Brian Peterson, the brain behind that [Squiremail
GPG]project so this securtiy chea ozzes around our office!  ;)

Walter