Two different problems

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 19:39:08 CET 2004

On Saturday 20 November 2004 4:58 am, Kevin Binswanger wrote:
> #1) I accidentally used the wrong revocation key, and I need to undo it
> (for key 0x37512C45).  Is there a way to do that?

A revocation certificate is bound to a certain key - if you imported the
revocation certificate for 0x42020537, it would be revoked on your local
system. The certificate for 0x42020537 cannot revoke any other key.

Check your key listings and send the key to keyservers to revoke it. Neither
key is currently showing as revoked.

> #2) I tried to fix #1 by refreshing my keys/re-receiving them from the

Receiving a key from a keyserver merges the keyserver copy with the local copy
- if the keyserver copy is not revoked, the --recv-key operation will have no
effect. To undo a local error on your key, you must first delete the local
copy of your public key and then receive the keyserver version.

> public-key servers.  I get this error:
> C:\GnuPG>gpg --recv-key 37512C45
> gpg: can't get key from keyserver: No such file or directory
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

Use a different keyserver, it was found perfectly on subkeys.pgp.net and
keyserver.kjsl.com - other keyservers are usually not worth using.

--

Neil Williams