Help on GPG error

Parag Mehta pmehta.net at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 06:14:14 CET 2004

Folks,

i am trying to use the party-table.pl script to generate the output file
which fails with following error.

Error:
gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2d)
gpg: keydb_search_first failed: invalid packet

I have reviewed the FAQ and made sure the setuid root is set on the gpg
binary.

The steps that i performed where:
- -- scp'ed the pubring.gpg file from my windows box to my linux box.
- -- windows box is running gnupg-32cli-1.2.5
- -- linux box is running gnupg-1.2.6 (built rpm from source using the
spec file provided on RH7.2)
- -- tried using the pubring.gpg file directly failed.
- -- imported the windows keyring file to a new keyrinh file in linux
machine. (still get the same error)
- -- exported the whole keyring on windows machines and scp'ed the armor
file to linux machine. imported the aromor file on linux machine (still
fails with the same error)

Additionally i had to do the following steps to currently fix the
problem but it does not solve my problem completely.

- -- changed the setuid permission on the gpg binary.
- -- importing pubring.gpg from a windows machine to the Linux machine failed
- -- hence deleted the keyring files on Linux machine and imported the
keys directly from keyserver.
- -- ran party-table Perl script and Voila! the file is generated without
errors.

My gpg.conf has followign lines:
no-greeting
no-mangle-dos-filenames
no-mdc-warning
no-version
ignore-time-conflict
ignore-valid-from

I am still not sure as to why does it give those errors even after
running the following commands:
In windows machine running gpg 1.2.5
- -- gpg --armor --export -o all.asc

In linux machine running gpg 1.2.6
- -- gpg --import all.asc

The import completes successfully and i can list the whole keyring
however the Perl script fails to run again with the same error.

I would also like to know if this is version incompatibility or
something else.

I am willing to run any further tests if somebdoy would like me to and
help figure out the root cause of this problem.