iconv.dll redux

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 09:12:24 CET 2004

On Saturday 30 October 2004 10:37 pm, JOHN MOORE wrote:
> I do appreciate the reply from JOHN....but when I downloaded the gzipped
> file it is to install into a Knoppix Linux partition

.dll files are only for Windows. You don't need iconv.dll for GNU/Linux.

> to be use in
> conjunction with T-Bird/Enigmail and GPA as Key Manager.  Does the
> gzipped download have the iconv.dll

No, not needed.

> or does it need to be added prior to
> .'configure, make, make install, make clean?

What error in the ./configure make make install caused you to think that this
file was needed?

Remember:
$ ./configure
(the dot and slash are required)
$ make
$ su
# make install

> If I do need to add it,
> can I use the same .dll in the WinZip download?

Binary files from one operating system are not compatible with binaries from
another.

If this is Knoppix, why not use apt?

As root,
# apt-get install gnupg gpa mozilla-thunderbird mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail

There's no need to compile any of these unless you want the absolute latest
versions. If you learn a bit more about Knoppix and Debian, you can switch to
the testing version of Debian and get the current releases. Default 'stable'
might be a little old.
www.debian.org
www.knoppix.net
http://www.eleli.de/knoppix/docs/tutorial