GPG and simple file encryption

Anthony Thyssen anthony at griffith.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 05:37:50 CEST 2004

For a long time I have encrypted some plain text files using PGP
as follows...

    (using v2)    pgp   -c file
    (using v5)    pgpe  -c file

to decrypt
    (using v2)  pgp   file.pgp
    (using v5)  pgpv  file.pgp
I also have filter commands for use in my vim editor.

However I am now trying to find GPG equivelents, but when I try to
encrypt it wants to use a public key, not just a pass-phase.

I just want a basic file encryption on any machine using a password I
provided. PGP does this, can GPG do it to, without having to generate a
keys pairing that is dissasociated with the file?

NOTE: GPG also complains about the use of IDEA when tring to decrypt
files encrypted with PGP.  I don't mind, switching, if I can get GPG
to do the encryption instead, whatever method it decides on.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/