potentially serious problem (was Re: WinPT on Windows NT problem)

Timo Schulz twoaday at freakmail.de
Sun Apr 10 15:40:07 CEST 2005

On Sat Apr 09 2005; 22:41, Erpo wrote:

> It's ok to list Windows NT 4 as a requirement for running a program, if
> that's really the only requirement. It's ok to list Windows NT 4 with
[snip]

Then I guess the easiest way is that I remove the 'supports 95/NT'
string because I expect at least an average PC system. And this means
at least ME and a recent Explorer version.

> It's not ok to list SHELL32.dll v4.32 or later as a requirement for
> running a program. This does not mean it's not ok to _have_ SHELL32.dll
> v4.32 or later as a requirement for running a program. The difference?

I see your point but the requirement is over 8 years old. And If somebody
uses such an old system, I would call this an exception and not ordinary.

> 2. The download page for WinPT should list the compatible OSs as
> "Windows 95(limited)/98/Me/NT with IE x.y or later/2000/XP"

As I said, it's propably the best to remove 95/NT.

I agree that it is annoying for people with older systems that it won't
work, but 4.32 is pretty old and I don't think I really need to mention it.
When WinPT would depend on the XP version of the DLL, it's worth to mention
because XP is pretty new compared to 98. I will either remove 95/NT or I
will put a notice there that some OS components need to be refreshed.

        Timo