Extra information in public key

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 22:05:36 CEST 2005

Please send replies to the list:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Monday 08 August 2005 7:43 pm, David Srbecky wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I want to provide as much information about me as possible when I send
> >>mails. I am amazed that you can save a photo as a part of you public
> >>key. How can I save more information? (telephone, address, age, etc...)
> >
> > Be careful about such information - remember that it is not just sent in
> > your emails but stored on keyservers.
>
> I aware of that, the same is on MSN servers, ICQ servers, and many other
> locations.
>
> > Do you really want such information to be publicly viewable?
>
> I want to have the option to publish as much as I want. I *want* to
> publish some information. (Say, personally I would publish my City, but
> not street address. On the other hand, company manager wants to publish
> everything - it is on the company website anyway)
>
> Is there is way of publishing additional information on the keyserver?

Only in small chunks.

> Some things I would like to publish are:
>   - The 'usual' stuff - aka ICQ servers or company vCards
>   - Whether I prefer to receive encrypted mail or not.
>   - Whether I prefer to receive signed mail or not.
>   - How I want to be send signatures - MIME / inline.
>   - URL to my public key (to remove refresh load from keyservers)
>
> and I am sure there are *many* more things.

I still don't see the point, but you could put a website URL in a comment.

A better idea would be to simply put all the details you want on Biglumber
where people using keys would *expect* to find details about you:

http://www.biglumber.com/x/web?sn=Neil+Williams

Some keyservers then offer a link to lookup the key on biglumber and locate
all the information anyone could ever want.

Try searching for my key here:
http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract
and with the fingerprint displayed, a link to biglumber appears.

Biglumber makes it easy to not only publicise your city but to locate others
within your city and your local region and for others to find you.

http://www.biglumber.com/x/web?sc=Devon
http://www.biglumber.com/x/web?so=England

--

Neil Williams