legal status of GnuPG in China?

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Wed Aug 24 19:19:19 CEST 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Anonymous Sender wrote:

> Does anyone know the legal status of GnuPG in China?
==============

IANAL, but it seems that GnuPG/PGP would require a license for use. i
would think that it would be easier to get a license (if any are actually
issued) if the stated use was signing and authentication, rather than
encryption (then encryption is merely a built-in feature, not a core
feature for your use). then generate an RSA "signing" key that is capable
of both encryption and signing, but do NOT create any encryption subkeys.

it really makes me sick that the US is doing everything it can to export
jobs and money to china (my gripe is with the chinese govt, NOT the
chinese people). just remember, next time you buy some piece of crap at
wal-mart and it says "made in china", part of the money that you're
spending is to buy bullets to shoot people who are caught using crypto (or
practicing religion).

--
         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"Cryptography is like literacy in the Dark Ages. Infinitely
 	 potent, for good and ill... yet basically an intellectual
 	 construct, an idea, which by its nature will resist efforts
 	 to restrict it to bureaucrats and others who deem only
 	 themselves worthy of such Privilege."
 		-- Vin McLellan,
 		A Thinking Man's Creed for Crypto