GnuPG and registry keys

Shatadal shatadal at vfemail.net
Mon Feb 28 11:37:45 CET 2005

I got interested in this issue when I was trying out the
PortableThunderbird-Enigmail project
(http://dev.weavervsworld.com/projects/ptbirdeniggpg/). When I started
it up I got the following message

"PortableThunderbird has detected the GNUPG key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
PortableThunderbird writes values to the GNUPG key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
this allows non-admin users to use Portable Thunderbird with Enigmail/GPG.
Having the GNUPG key in both HKLM and HKCU may cause undesired behaviour.

Delete HKLM\Software\GNU\GNUPG and continue?"

When I checked my registry I saw that I do have both the keys. Could
this cause any problems in using GnuPG? I use GnuPG from a
non-administrator account.

Thanks,
Shatadal.