useless test keys and keyservers

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 18:16:31 CET 2005

On Monday 28 February 2005 4:18 am, Randy Burns wrote:
> I wish all pgp keys could automatically be purged from keyservers
> on the anniversary of their creation.

Sorry, I didn't check the reply address - this was meant for the list.

But then many, many keys would be unavailable at any one time. With only 365
days a year and so many tens of thousands of keys, that's a lot of keys every
single day.

The point with a keyserver is that the key is always available and always up
to date. It's especially important that revoked and expired keys are
continuously available - when someone queries for a key that has been
revoked, it is imperative that the keyserver always gives a definitive
answer. "Sorry, I'm waiting for that one to be sent back but last time I saw
it, it was revoked" is not good enough.

An attacker would know the anniversary date and could put up an attacked key
in it's place - in the lagtime before the real owner connects to the
internet, the wrong key is in use. After all, the attacker has the key before
it is revoked and is unlikely to knowingly refresh the key to import the
revocation certificate so his copy will be unrevoked - he can just as easily
put that onto the keyserver as the real owner.

Your purge could result in many attacked (and currently revoked) keys suddenly
becoming usable again - the real owner may not keep a copy of their revoked
key if they don't have much data that was encrypted to that key before the
attack. The attacker certainly does have an unrevoked copy, public and
secret.

Then you've got the whole keyserver synchronisation to consider - by your
reasoning, the key would disappear completely from every keyserver at the
same time! If you change the date of removal so that each keyserver purges at
a different time, the key will be refreshed from another keyserver at next
sync, rather than from the user so you lose the entire point of your
proposal.

> Then, key owners would know
> that obsolete keys will eventually disappear, and know when their
> actively searched-for keys (fresh keys as well as freshly-revoked
> keys) need to be uploaded again--always just after the
> anniversary of their creation. That way, key uploads get spread
> throughout the whole year.

But many keys don't change year to year - there's nothing wrong with that.
Just because a key doesn't change, there's no reason to think it's out of
use.

> Wouldn't that be a good thing?

No, it would be a very BAD thing - it's part of the controversy over PGP GD.

If you want to use a keyserver that implements that kind of policy, fine, just
be very careful to use a full-size keyserver to refresh your keys in case
someone revoked their key coincidentally just before the arbitrary creation
anniversary date.

--

Neil Williams