Using GnuPG to sign web pages.

Carlo Luciano Bianco clbianco at tiscalinet.it
Tue Jan 18 23:08:58 CET 2005

Il /18 gen 2005/, *Neil Williams* ha scritto:

> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 11:28 am, Carlo Luciano Bianco wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We have put online a brief tutorial on a possible use of GnuPG (or any
>> other OpenPGP-compliant software) to sign web pages. It is at:
[...]
> Section about checksums: Why not use a valid attribute like title or id
> instead of inventing chksum? Title will show up in a tool-tip, id can be
> used as a link.

First of all, thank you for your feedback!

I am just the English translator of the page (originally in Italian), but I
am actively discussing this matter with the author (i.e. TJL73).

IMVHO the most "clean" solution at this stage is the first one, i.e. writing
the checksums in a table in the "comment" section together with the OpenPGP
signature (I think I will do this in my web pages, for the moment). But
inserting them in the "img" tag makes easier to write a plug-in to check them
automatically in the browser window, that's why TJL73 added that last
section.

Both "title" and "id" have already their intended meaning, but there is a
thread on the it.comp.sicurezza.crittografia newsgroup (an Italian newsgroup
about encryption) where we are discussing, also with TJL73, possible
solutions using XHTML instead of HTML4.

> Now what we need is a method for displaying the validity of the
> signature within the main browser application window.
>
> Maybe a little script to sit in the Konqueror Tools menu?

Maybe, or maybe a Firefox extension... ;-)

--
| Carlo Luciano Bianco | ICQ UIN: 109517158                              |
|______________________| Home page: <http://clbianco.altervista.org/>    |