Are all the UIDs on a key supposed to be equal?

Erwan David erwan at rail.eu.org
Wed Jan 26 07:40:01 CET 2005

Le Tue 25/01/2005, Adam Funk disait
> Are all the user-ids (combinations of name, e-mail address and comment)
> equal, or can one be the "primary" one?
>
> I started to generate a new key because the old has several obsolete
> e-mail addresses in the UIDs.  I gave my "main" e-mail address and
> comment in response to the "gpg --gen-key" prompts, then used "gpg
> --edit-key" to add UIDs.  When I then listed the key, they were out of
> order.  I had been under the impression (maybe it was just coincidence
> with my previous key) that the first UID is the main one.

You can also revoke uids on your key; which indicates juste a change
of address, but you keep being the same person. If you look at my key
(0xF7001FC7 on public servers), you see it bears following Ids:

gpg: using classic trust model
pub   1024D/F7001FC7 1998-12-14
uid                  Erwan David <erwan at rail.eu.org>
uid       [ revoked] Erwan David <Erwan.David at teaser.fr>