gpg --keyserver

lord grinny grinny3004 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 19:03:53 CET 2005

Thanks very much for your response,
I tried  your suggestion but with no effect. I don't
think it's a problem in my
network setup, but that the problem lies with (my
installation of) gpg.

Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> You wrote:
>

>>I tried this, but my DNS is definitly set up okee.
>>
>>C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.GRINNY>nslookup
>>keyserver.kjsl.com
>>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1:
>>Non-existent domain
>>*** Default servers are not available
>>Server:  UnKnown
>>Address:  192.168.0.1
>>
>>Non-authoritative answer:
>>Name:    keyserver.kjsl.com
>>Address:  69.36.241.130
>>
>>192.168.0.1 is my gateway (A windows 98 box serving
as
>>a router)
>

> OH!  Did you see my comment about what you have to
do with
> a router?  I advise you to copy the files over to
the
> Windows 98 box that is doing the service as a router
and
> retrieve the key.  If you have an auto install, just
install
> it, and then copy the following files from your
present
> machine into the same folder on the new machine:
>
>         REM there are SEVERAL pubring files
>         pubring.*
>         secring.gpg
>         trustdb.gpg

Gpg still gives the same result:

gpg: requesting key BB36BA75 from hkp server
keyserver.kjsl.com
Host:           keyserver.kjsl.com
Port:           80
Command:        GET
gpgkeys: HTTP URL is
`hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com:80/pks/lookup?op=get&options=mr&s
earch=0xBB36BA75'
?: keyserver.kjsl.com: Host not found: ec=10065
gpgkeys: HKP fetch error: No error
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

I've setup firefox too use the same proxy
configuration and I can reach the site

http://keyserver.kjsl.com:80/pks/lookp?op=get&options=mr&search=0xBB36BA75

without any problem. Allthough nslookup complaint
about not knowing the host
name of the router, it did give the correct result.
Ping also translates the
hostname to a correct ip address, so I really don't
think this is a DNS problem.

The weirdest thing is that I get a different error
message when I use the ip
address.... Since I know the rest of my applications
are setup correctly, so I
know the network is okee, this leads me to believe
that either I'm _that_ stupid
and fucked up my settings again (this has happened
before :-) ), or this is a
bug in gpg.

gpg: requesting key BB36BA75 from hkp server
69.36.241.130
Host:           69.36.241.130
Command:        GET
gpgkeys: HTTP URL is
`hkp://69.36.241.130/pks/lookup?op=get&options=mr&search=0x
BB36BA75'
gpgkeys: HKP fetch error: No error
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

> BTW,  are you using actual gpg or WinPT?  I advise
that
> you use WinPT, but copy the executable files in the
> Program Files area to some place in your path, e.g.,
> into C:\Windows.  It offers hot key support and does
> lot more.  WinPT stores the above files in:
>
> C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.GRINNY\Applications\GnuPG

> I have played around long enough with GPGOE that I
can
> NOT advise it.  It cannot sign email messages, and
the
> automation for encryption is only outward bound.
When
> it comes in, you have to select all of the encrypted
> email, CTRL+C it, and then do a CTRL+ALT+D to
decrypt
> the Clipboard, then open some sort of editor and
then
> CTRL+V (paste) it into the editor.  I advise moving
> Thunderbird.  It will encrypt INLINE (what GPGOE
does),
> and MIME (the default for a lot of other email
programs,
> and most importantly, it will allow you do SIGN your
> messages.  That is the only part of gpg I need a
lot.

I allready use Thunderbird, I also have enigmail
installed, but since fetching
keys didn't work, I went back to basic and tried to
retrieve a key from the
console. Since that too failed I know the problem lies
with gpg.

Thanks,

- Grinny -

the source of my problems is in the source...