smart card + gpg only root

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 20 10:59:39 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:16 +0200, Federico Munerotto said:

> My user is the group scard but as long as only the root user can have
> access to the smart card it remains useless. I think it is a trivial
> permission issue: any help?

With the Debian packages of pcscd anyone may connect to a running
pcscd and access the reader.  Use pcsc_scan to see whether the pcscd
is working.  You might also want to start pcscd in the foreground

  pcscd -f -d

to better see what's going on.

> A workaround would be telling evolution to use sudo gpg instead of gpg,
> but there isn't a way to do that.

Don't even think of doing this.

As explained in the HOWTO (at www.gnupg.org) you might also want to
check whether the gpg onternal driver works for you (gpg 1.4.2rc2).
When building gpg, just make sure that libusb development files have
been installed.  The follow the Howto to setup the permissions
properly.

gpg --debug-ccid-driver ....

might then be helpful.

Shalom-Salam,