Unsynchronized public and secret key uids

Jason Harris jharris at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 7 19:29:16 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:48:13PM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> Unfortunately, I lost my primary .gnupg directory. I restored my .gnupg
> from a backup, but it was not particularly recent. As such, my public
> key has a bunch of extra uids that my secret key does not.

> I'd just go and delete and re-add them, but I'm concerned this would
> get rid of signatures on my public keys uid. And I really would prefer
> to not lose those, or add even more redundant uids.

On keyserver.kjsl.com, your @achilles.net userid is revoked (on 0x191FCD8A).
(Re-)adding it to your secret key would generate a new selfsig that would
supersede the revocation, so be careful if you do that to re-revoke it.

Otherwise, recreate the userids exactly as they were before and all the
old sigs will transfer to them.  You already have a lot of selfsigs on
your userids (which will also come back when you refresh your key from
a keyserver), and recreating and re-signing the userids will add another
selfsig to each, but (unless you can do surgery on secring.gpg) that can't
be helped now.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris at widomaker.com _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/