Privacy Implications Of Signing Keys

Len Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Sat Jun 18 00:46:14 CEST 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Bill Thompson wrote:

> Yes, but if you want to remain anonymous what is the point of
> cryptographically signing your e-mail? You can't have it both ways.

Sure you can. Read up on anonymous and pseudonymous mail systems. But
that's not the danger what Shaun was talking about. The "Web of Trust"
idea creates a very easy to parse social network analysis that is not
paralleled by the process of signing email.

(The dangers of key signing have been discussed extensively on the
cypherpunks list. I suggest reading the archives.)