useless test keys and keyservers

Melissa Reese mreese at calarts.edu
Tue Mar 1 05:52:11 CET 2005

Hi Stewart,

On Monday, February 28, 2005, at 5:51:57 PM PST, you wrote:

>> I'll be looking into getting a web page set up for my keys, but for
>> now, I distribute them via email auto-responder. Just click on the
>> mailto in my signature, and send the resulting email message. An
>> auto-reply with the keys will be sent immediately.

> IMHO this is a pain. Some (most?) of us on this list don't use
> "click" type mailers.

I've drafted a much longer and more detailed reply to your message,
but since this is becoming a bit off-topic with regards to "GnuPG
usage" specifically, I'll try to keep this reply as short and to the
point as possible.

I still suffer from my silly philosophical disagreement with the
current state of the keyservers, so I guess I'm kind of stuck, at the
moment, with with the choice between my "mailto" auto-reply method or
a web page where my keys can be obtained.

I just created a quick little web page for my keys (please see the URL
in my signature), but I'm afraid that as far as mouse clicking goes,
it's going to involve at least as much bother as clicking on my
previous "mailto"; though the potential problems with the subject line
and message body text of the "mailto" method is eliminated. I also
won't have to worry about keeping my email client running all the
time.

Now, it seems to me that if you can't conveniently click on a mailto
in your email client, a URL won't be much better for you. Is this
correct? Or do you have an easier way to deal with web site URLs from
within your mailer?

In any event, short of simply uploading my keys to the keyservers, I
am trying to make the distribution process as painless as possible,
though I'm afraid I just won't be able to satisfy everyone, in every
way possible.  Again, I apologize for all the inconvenience.

--
Melissa

PGP public keys:
http://www.freewebs.com/qajaq/