keyserver

Jason Harris jharris at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 10 05:13:55 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:07:13PM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 04:43:18PM -0600, David T Kerns wrote:

> > I've set up a keyserver inside the corporate firewall and am hoping to have
> > that one system share keys with a public server.
> > My thoughts are I only have to configure one system to barrel through the
> > firewall rather than every user on every server in my network.
> > Certainly I'm not the first one to encounter this. Can anyone point me to
> > some documentation?
>
> It depends on what kind of keyserver you have set up.  If it's the
> OpenLDAP sort, then they don't sync with other servers (except in the
> LDAP sense of sync - and there aren't any public servers that sync
> that way).  If it's SKS or PKS, then you can sync via email.

Actually, ldap://horowitz.surfnet.nl:11370 receives syncs. via email
and sends a nightly email with the day's updates.  (Of course, both
pgp.com keyservers remain unsynchronized.)  (Also, I think the older
software can sync. via sockets, but I don't know that it was ever
used to sync. surfnet.nl and pgp.com.)

As well, SKS does not require email connectivity for sync.
A few SKS servers are currently configured with no email peers, FWIW.