How to create self-extracting executable?

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.net.pl
Thu Mar 24 23:12:56 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:02:11PM -0500, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> My office uses PGP to create self-extracting executable files.
[]
> Is this feature possible with GPG?  I'm trying to automate lots of
> processes and the less highlighting and right-clicking I have to do in
> Windows Explorer, the better.
[]
> PS: I've already bored everyone I work with by explaining how symmetric
> key encryption ain't all that secure, but switching to a key-based
> system is not possible in the short run.

I can relate to your pain, but GPG hasn't any such functionality. It is
difficult to implement since GPG is a multi-platform appplication.

Also, running untrusted binaries rececived from unverifiable sources is a
very bad idea anyway (and source of today's most security problems).

If you have access to/control/advisory power over involved computers'
configuration, associating .pgp .gpg and .asc filename suffixes with GPG
itself or a suitable shell application gives roughly the same results as
self-extracting archives - user click a file, enters a password, file is
decrypted.

Alex
--
mors ab alto