[PGP-USERS] PGP Desktop Home - Cost of upgrade

Kai Raven kairaven at arcor.de
Thu May 12 08:54:28 CEST 2005

Hi Erpo,

On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:04:19 -0700 you wrote:

> IIRC, the source to PGP is available, but only for "peer review"
> purposes. The license prohibits compiling your own PGP binaries. I might
> be wrong. It's been a long time since I've read the license.

From the PGP 8 license:

"What You Cannot Do. Under this license you do not have the right to, and you
may not:

(...)
use executable code versions of PGP software programs created by compiling
these source code files for any purpose or reason other than verifying that
there are no unknown vulnerabilities
(...)

> I played with the PGP Desktop trials a while ago, and I have to say that
> it was a whole lot easier to use than GPG.

No. Today, they can use two shells under Windows with extensions for
the explorer, a lot of gui's exist for other plattforms. GnuPG is well
integrated in a lot of mail clients and in some instant messengers or they can
use their own scripts for the console. They can get get help from a lot of
manuals, howto's and so on...

--
Ciao
Kai