- -textmode???

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Nov 4 02:39:38 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:38:37PM -0600, SeidlS at schneider.com wrote:

> Can someone tell me the difference between to two commands below?
> gpg -r ####### --armor --sign --encrypt <INFILE > OUTFILE
> gpg -r ####### --armor --sign --encrypt --textmode < INFILE > OUTFILE
>
> We are using the first command for our GPG encryption today, but may have a
> need to use the --textmode for a new recipient.  The encryption process
> today handles text file, and some binary (read zip, or M.S. Office type)
> files.  What will the impact be of adding the --textmode to the command, or
> to the options file?

Use --textmode if INFILE is text.  Don't use it otherwise.  It causes
text canonicalization so that text remains text across different
platforms.  For example, Unix machines end text lines with LF.  DOS
machines end text lines with CRLF.  Use --textmode and the file is
automatically converted.

David